Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Of Surfers,Herons and Rainbows

 

When I woke up Friday morning (after the howling wind storm during the night ) I didn't know where I was.  You know the feeling-you're all fuzzy headed and not focused and you can't seem to put a full sentence together.  I fell asleep reading Julia Child's My Life in France and for a brief moment I thought I was in Paris. That brief moment disappeared when I heard the waves crashing outside of Ruby and I remembered we were on the beach at Quileute. And what a lovely surprise when I raised the blinds and saw the sun shining brightly, big puffy white clouds and blue skies.


 We had a quick breakfast of hot oatmeal with the last of the season strawberries and some good hot coffee, then quickly threw on our clothes and took off outside to enjoy this burst of gorgeous weather.


We must have sat for hours on the logs just watching the waves crashing in and feeling that wonderful warm sun on our faces. The cabins and lodge at the Quileute Resort were full but it seemed like everyone  had stayed inside to enjoy the view.  The only people out on the beach were the RV'ers.  If we didn't have an RV I definitely would stay here in one of the cabins. They sit high on the crest of the beach and the front of them are all windows -giving you a the beautiful views of the ocean. They have  camper cabins,motel rooms,luxury cabins and a special place called the Wolf Den-rates range from $59 up to $280 nightly;something for everyone. The Resort also has a laundry,grocery store and wifi office for those who need to stay connected. (PS. I have not received any compensation for saying these things about Quileute or for camping here ).


Every time we walked by the cabins we could see everyone sitting inside drinking their morning coffee and gazing out the windows.  We snuck a few little peeks at the hand carved furniture in some of the units-very pretty.


While we were enjoying our peaceful morning on the beach, another person had a different idea for how to spend this incredible morning.  Now I don't want to say he was crazy, but you wouldn't catch me surfing in this cauldron of waves.  It was obvious he knew exactly what he was doing and it was fun watching him and living vicariously through him !  He lasted about 20 minutes and came back to shore to warm up . Watching him was much better than watching any adventure show on TV. And yes, even though I thought he was a little crazy, I was a little jealous-I'm dying to learn how to surf-but I would much rather my first attempt be in the warm waters of Baja and not the freezing waters of Washington.




Another blessing for this wonderful day-a rainbow.  Did you know the Inca and other Native Americans regarded the rainbow as a gift from the sun god. They also believed that gods traveled on the rainbow because it moves so rapidly and that the rainbow carries heroes between heaven and earth. I like that; now whenever I see a rainbow I'm going to think about those heroes traveling between heaven and earth.



As we were walking south to the other end of the beach I looked up and saw the heron.  He was gliding through the air so gracefully-I stopped and watched him land just feet away from me. The Heron is my 2nd favorite bird right behind the Bald Eagle.  I found out a little about the symbolism attached to herons when I was writing this :
"Most Native American tribes took note of the heron’s inquisitiveness, curiosity and determination. As such this set the heron as a symbol of wisdom in that this creature seemed to have good judgement skills.
Specifically, the Iroquois tribe held the blue heron as a very good omen, a very lucky sign. They recognized the heron as an expert fisher/hunter. As such, they believed that sighting a heron before a hunt was a sign that the hunt would be a good one.
As a water creature the heron is also a symbol of going with the flow, and working with the elements of Mother nature rather than struggling against her.
The heron is a beautiful creature, exhibiting grace, and noble stature. It’s no wonder the Native Indians and ancients honored the heron throughout the centuries."


We ended up spending most of the day outside-only returning to Ruby for nourishment or some coffee with Baileys to warm us. The weather held all day and we were treated to another incredible sunset.  Last night's was all pink and blue and purple-Friday night's was all golden and blue-another perfect ending to a perfect day.



And then the icing on the cake,the skies were fairly clear in the evening and we enjoyed the rising of the moon.  Couldn't think of a better place to enjoy the view and feel a closer part of this magnificent Universe.




"Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun."
John Lennon


No comments:

Post a Comment