Monday, July 6, 2015

Love the Nova Scotia Coast from Peggy's Cove to Mahone Bay

This is a window in the town of Mahone Bay-good philosophy

When we headed to the Maritimes I had a little idea of what to expect from Nova Scotia, but goodness gracious me, my expectations have been blown out of the water. I love this province-but I especially love the coast and the sweet, lovely fishing villages.  I dream of them now and they have taken over a huge space in my heart.


Our first lovely surprise was the King Neptune Campground in Indian Harbor-the owners are so incredible.  Warm welcoming,and funny-Kay is 92 years old and has owned this place since 1959.  She will keep you laughing all day long.  We were so blessed to get space #57, it's a tent site, but we didn't mind trading the convenience of electric for the front row seat to the ocean !


 Plenty of breathing space in the campground-just perfect



We didn't need anything to do while we were here.  Watching the tides, the sunrise, the sunset, the waves crashing-we have simple lives and it's those things that bring the greatest joy to us.

 No matter which way we looked we had the best views.  Everywhere we looked was just beautiful.





 We left the campground early in the morning to head to Peggy's Cove. I had set the alarm to get us up before the 530 am sunrise, unfortunately my cell phone alarm was still on Eastern instead of Atlantic time and it woke us at 600 instead of 500am.  But with the Roadtrek taking off is easy and since we were in a tent site we had no unhooking to do.  Just a quick closing of the fan vent window and turning off the propane and we hit the road.  This was my first view of the infamous lighthouse at Peggy's Cove.



And this was the little greeter that followed me down the path to the Swiss Air Memorial-I hadn't run across any information on this when researching our trip.  It was a quiet spiritual place.



 My driver, aka sweetie pie, spotted these on the side of the road in a little bog area-I thought they looked like little fairy umbrellas in the dew.

 Even the church in Peggy's Cove is pretty and colorful


I couldn't believe the harbor, it was so picture perfect.  And Lobster Road was a gravel road that ran along side of it-I took advantage of walking that road and climbing the rocks to get some shots.  I really lucked out, no one else was here when we arrived and things were pretty quiet and peaceful.








I was very lucky with the lighthouse-no one was around !  When we were at Hopewell Rocks on the Bay of Fundy I would have to wait a very long time to try and get a shot of the rocks without people and it was almost impossible. But here, arriving before 800am, no one but us and the seagulls.




 The rocks all around the lighthouse are incredible and very dangerous-so if you go, be very careful





After we left Peggy's Cove I wanted to follow the routes that hugged the coast en route to Lunenburg and we did.  We saw so much jaw dropping gorgeous scenery, it was like being in another world.  This planet never ceases to amaze me with her beauty. This little spot had a sandy beach and a view out to some small islands.  We stopped to let Hailey run free and play in the water-she loved it.


 What a perfect little hideaway to live in, one can dream.





 This was Chester,Nova Scotia. A while back I had read an article by a Canadian environmentalist who had settled in this area.  His description barely did it justice.  Chester is exactly the kind of little village you imagine when you think of those quaint, lovely villages along the coast.  A small downtown area was lined with wonderful little gift shops and cafes.  And everyone was around the waterfront-the center of activity for this town-for both residents and tourists it seemed.






I love to imagine the people who garden and tend their sweet beautiful little cottages and I dream of what it would be like to live there...lots of dreaming on this trip.


Next stop, Mahone Bay-everything and a lot more than I expected when I read about it.  The 3 churches along the shoreline caught my eye first and I made Jim turnaround to go down the road that was across the bay from the churches.  Not an easy feat in a Roadtrek on small village roads !

 Every place I looked was a spot to sit and daydream

 And this was the ultimate-who wouldn't want a tiny house on the water-I'm so jealous 



This town had so many stunning homes and interesting architecture, I didn't know where to look. And the paint combinations-I love people who think outside the box and look like they dumped all their crayons out on the floor to decide what color to paint their house or business.

 Flowers everywhere









 The name of this place is "Seaclusion", clever !

 The giant town garage sale was in full swing when we arrived and it was all I could do to keep my purse in check.  Plus I kept thinking how could I fit that set of beautiful old chairs in Ruby; or could I keep that gorgeous old crystal from breaking over the next 6 months packed in Ruby !



In a shop window , Mahone Bay

Most times I feel like we are in a dream world. I've said it thousands of times but we are really so blessed and we are so grateful for this life.  Don't get me wrong, it's not all flowers and pretty places, after all, two of us are living 24 hours 7 days a week in about 50 square feet. And even though I have known this man for 45 wonderful years-my patience and his, does get tried every once in a while. But it's days like this that make us overlook those times. These are the days we remember and talk about and hold close. These are the times we include in our evening grace and I wish you all many moments like these.

Happy Trails, Safe Travels, be kind and sweet to each other and hold those lovely memories in your hearts.

2 comments:

  1. Nova Scotia looks like paradise. Your photographs and descriptions make me regret that I skipped Nova Scotia on my last trip to Maine and the Maritime Provinces. I will not overlook Nova Scotia again. This destination was high on our list but we just did not have the time to push further. I love the colorful towns and rugged coastal scenery. I cannot wait to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cape Breton for the rest of July, thank you for your kind words. It's always nice not to have a schedule!

      Delete