Sunday, February 23, 2014

Doheny Beach California




Southward bound-this would be our next to the last beach side campground before heading into the desert.  Jim was mesmerized by the opportunity to camp at Doheny Beach-you know the surfer music of   the 60’s -Surfin USA or Surfin Safari?
When we arrived the ranger checked us in and we headed to site #72-on the beach-wahoo-how lucky can we get?  Uh Houston we have a problem-there is someone passed out in the middle of site #72-not moving-our camper neighbors thought he was dead.  He had his hand wrapped around a little duffle bag and wasn't moving-oh ok I could see slight breathing.  We turned back and quickly headed to the kiosk to alert the park ranger.   He didn't seem too alarmed even though we weren't sure if the guy was injured or what was going on.   The ranger switched our site and said he was calling the local park police.  And he did.  Turns out the person was associated with some homeless woman who was in the site directly across from us.  She had some mental issues and was yelling and screaming at us when we tried to pull into our site.  So back to the ranger-he told us to just stay in the new site he had assigned and we were glad to oblige. What is the Universe trying to teach us?  Humility ? Acceptance ? Understanding ? All of the above?


I’m embarrassed to say we haven’t learned the lesson yet-since this keeps happening.  Are we too wrapped up in our own experience that we can’t make room to accept the challenges of others ?  Are we looking to block out reality and stay in our own little retirement cocoon  of gorgeous sunsets, beautiful campgrounds  and wonderful experiences ?  I would say yes to both of those questions.  I’m ashamed that I preach love and happiness along with acceptance and not being judgmental and yet as soon as I've encountered someone who I judge doesn't belong where I am - all my attempts at practicing present moment and anything that remotely resembles Buddhism goes out the window.     So what do they say?  The first step is to admit you have a problem-yes I do and I’m throwing myself into it to eliminate it.  I don’t want to be preachy and all that-this is just about me and my being so judgmental and not walking the proverbial mile in someone else’s shoes.



Beautiful moon rise while we were there.

A fellow Roadtreker recommended this place for breakfast and it was delicious ! 


Gorgeous town and only 3 miles from San Juan Capistrano where we headed when we left .


"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-Martin Luther King Jr 

Happy Trails to all of you.....     


No comments:

Post a Comment